We celebrated two birthdays in our house the last few days - Andrew turned 34 on Saturday and Zachary turned 8 on Monday. Andrew spent his day doing things he loves - fishing, watching BYU basketball, and having a steak dinner. Early in the morning he took Zach and Mason to Tule Springs to go fishing. This was Mason's first time and Andrew said he was so patient (sounds like a true fisherman in the making!) Mason caught 5 fish and Zackie caught only 2, and Mason was sure to tell all of us of that fact over and over. That night Andrew and I enjoyed a quiet steak dinner and went to the movies.
Monday was Zach's birthday. He shared doughnuts with his school class and chose CiCi's pizza for dinner that night. The waiters even got the whole restaurant to sing to him and he thought that was pretty cool. The only presents he really asked for this year were a certain book and a BB gun - but mom had to throw in some new jeans too since every other pair have holes in the knee!! The Birthday Bunny even left him a present while he was at school.
I've never seen a kid so happy to receive a book - look at the huge grin on his face!! Although Mason calls these books "Diarrhea of a Wimpy Kid," which would be an entirely different book and not one I would likely let my children read.
At the new year, Andrew and I talked about how we needed to get our older children involved in more extracurricular activities - things to help them gain confidence, develop talents and learn new skills. They are both taking piano lessons and involved with academies at school, but we felt they needed something more. We recently signed each of them up for a class at the YMCA and they love it. Taylor is doing gymnastics and Zach a basketball class. Here are a few shots from their classes last week. Gotta love the Y!!
The only other thing that Taylor has begged us for years about is horseback riding lessons. She has always had a fascination with horses and loves to learn more about them. Well I finally talked to a friend Robyn in a neighboring ward who was willing to teach her, so Taylor started last week. Without hesitation Taylor put on some boots, got right up on the horse (named Sparky) and off she went. Her 30 minute lesson turned into an hour and she did not want to leave. I was so proud of her for not being nervous or scared and just doing it. Of course now she wants to buy her own horse and when she grows up she wants to have a huge ranch and ride horses all day!!
Well my time is up - the baby is awake, everyone is inside and I've got to get Zach to his first cub scout meeting in an hour (another new chapter in my life - woohoo!!)
6 comments:
Zach caught 3. I love the picture of the horse riding lesson with the missionaries in the back ground.
Andrew loves those books. He carries his around like his own diary and won't let us read any of it. And cub scouts is a whole new commitment but he'll love it.
I'll talk to Gary about beach week. That sounds like a blast to me, he might need a little more convincing.
And Happy Birthday Andrew and Zach!
there is always the parent who takes their kid to basketball practice with the kid wearing jeans. we always made fun of that kid. he had a standard nickname:
"stonewash."
When we lived here our calling was with the scouts. It really is a whole different world.
Wow you are so brave to get Zach a BB gun! All I can think of right now is Christmas Story and "You'll shoot your eye out!". Hope that all goes well. I was the type who swore I'd never let my kids play with guns- so of course Max is like every other boy and loves anything from a water gun to a nerf gun. I'm sure we'll be on to BB guns in a few years too.
Sounds like you guys are doing a great job keeping busy! That is great that Robyn is giving Taylor riding lesson.
Nothing like adding a couple more things to your short list!!! Ha!! Fun Fun Fun!!!
Post a Comment