After two years of having a child in year round school, I was soooo happy when we finally switched to a 9 month schedule for the 2006/2007 school year --- that is until the summer came. It started out great, but those 3 months seemed to last forever! While I was glad school was out, having my three little munchkins home all day every day was hard; trying to entertain them, stuck indoors most days because of the heat, plus the constant snacking and messes all over the house (it didn't help that I was pregnant with Tanner and exhausted all the time either!) Taylor and Zach were bored most days. The only reprieve came during the weeks the kids and I spent at my parents up in Utah.
Last Monday I was reading the school newsletter that my kids brought home and along the bottom of the page it read: LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN - ONLY 27 MORE DAYS OF SCHOOL! I felt a sense of dread.....what am I going to do with the kids all summer? Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that school is almost over and I love the laziness of summer, but after a few weeks the fun starts to wear off for me. Please tell me I'm not the only mother who feels this way about the summer break. Am I crazy?
We had no real plans for the summertime and I didn't want to just waste the days away doing nothing like we did last year. I thought that at least if we have some activities to do or trips planned it would make it easier knowing there is something to look forward to. It wouldn't be so bad if we could fill our days with swimming, but the city pools are way too crowded for my liking and I don't think a little plastic pool in the backyard would hold their interest very long. What to do.....what to do.....
What a difference a week makes - our summer is starting to fill up. We've got daily swimming lessons in early June for the older three kiddos, weekly piano lessons for Taylor and Zach, and at least one trip planned to Utah to spend a week with my family. I thought we could fill in those lazy days here and there with playdates, outings to Peter Piper Pizza, the library, seeing movies, etc. Suddenly the summer is starting to look a lot better ( and expensive!!!)
The best part of our summer will happen in August. After spending time at the beach over spring break and seeing how much the kids loved it, we knew we needed to plan a beach vacation. Andrew's oldest sister and her family have been going on beach vacations for years and always tell us how fabulous they are. She told us last week they had one condo rental left that no one was using and we should consider coming this year. We knew it would be so much fun for the kids and we couldn't think of a good reason not to! We are so excited - our brother in law Wade said that we will absolutely love it and will want to go every year from now on. Finally something to look forward to!
13 comments:
Lucky! (imagine Napoleon Dynamite)We are going to try out the Alabama beaches this year though I can't believe we're trying it with what will be a two month old baby. Also, I have an amazin friend who gives each week of the summer a theme and then plans one outing per week and four sctivities based on that theme. Like I said she is amazing. But then I think you are amazing and you could do this if you wanted to. Wish we were going to see you this summer! Maybe next.
they still have peter piper pizza in utah!? I used to love that place! You're amazing for not having sweets for weeks. that would be the hardest thing in the world for me. Tanner is such a doll! I can't believe how old he is already. Hopefully we can see him sometime soon.
Summer is coming fast! I only have a soon to be first grader in school. But when she's home, her goal is to lovingly drive me nuts. She's not much of a homebody. So, I'm planning on filling up our "lazy" days up as well!
I know! The note yesterday said 22 days left! I started a summer to do list so we don't miss anything. I always say we need to do that this summer. but then I forget! So this year I have a list.
That's why I'm grateful for year round school. a few smaller breaks of insanity. We're putting in a pool so we'll have to have you over. My kids get out around the second week of July.
I am the same way! I am COMPLETELY looking forward to school being out. I am over homeowrk and reports and field trips right now but after a couple of weeks everyone starts to grate on each other. I always try to stay busy but my problem is sometimes I feel that I get to over booked in the summer and then I don't get to take advantage of the fact that we don't have to do ANYTHING! I don't know. It is a fine balance. I am jealous about your beach vacation though. That sounds SO fun!
Do you kow about the free movies they offer at some of the theaters around town? Twice a week at the Colonade on Eastern and 215 (in green valley/ far for you) or the theater on West Sahara. Lots of moms go and take their own drinks and snacks. I'd meet you there one day.
I felt the same way last summer. I am super excited for this summer though. We are also doing swimming, baseball, and I am planning canyon trips a couple times a week with my kids. come see us and get out of the heat!
Since we don't have kids in school yet, sometimes I feel this way on a daily basis! One of the things I did was made a list of all of the places we wanted to go and also a list of little fun things to do around the house when they are bored. Things like bowling in the hallway and playing on the patio with sponges, going on a treasure hunt etc. Then as soon as we are in a rut we look at the list for something "exciting" to do.
How fun!! I love the traditional school year- but feel the same way as you about summers. Last year we made a jar for everyone and when they behaved I put a marble in, misbehaved meant they lost a marble- and they couldn't tell me they did something, I had to notice it. Right before we went to Las Vegas we gave them money for each marble- Lexi and Ashlee had close to $20 to spend on our vacation, Carly had about $10. We are going to do it agan- it worked really well. If they were fighting all I had to do was pick up a marble jar and give it a tiny shake- they would hear it and stop immediatly! Have a fun trip! We aren't making it to LV- instead we are surprising our kids with a trip to San Diego for a week and then Kisneyland the last week.
I love all these great summer ideas!!
Harmony - The Peter Piper is actually here in Vegas close by our house - a favorite place for my kids.
Chandra - we're up for a swim anytime!
Angela - We will definitely stop by when we're in Utah this summer!
Right or wrong, I have decided to delete my blog. I will have to keep up with you on your blog now. Someday soon maybe I will do it again and I will let you know.
I finally found you! Cute pictures.
Post a Comment