Tuesday, September 11

Life with a Two Year Old

It's been 4 years since I've had a 2 year old in the house---how soon we forget how funny and naughty they can be!!! Mason has always been a very mild child, but now the mild has turned into WILD! He is so crazy and into everything. This picture is a perfect example. He went upstairs and a few minutes later came down wearing his sister's pajama shorts, his brother's slippers, and pushing around a toy bow and arrow.

Over the past month or so, he's developed some amazing new talents such as: opening the fridge and getting food out, opening the front door, pulling all the books off the bookshelf in Zackie's room, taking off his clothes, taking off his diapers, dressing himself, and my absolute personal favorite---climbing out of his crib!

His timing is impeccable! Doesn't he know that in a few short weeks there will be another little person I will be trying to get to sleep? Now because of his newly acquired skill, naptimes and bedtimes have become disastrous because Mason knows he can just climb out. After a few days of fighting him with it and putting him back in the crib over and over, this week I finally give up. I'm too tired to struggle with him anymore. So the last 2 days I've tried the "couch approach" and so far so good. For naps in the afternoon, I just turn on a cartoon (like Dora or Calliou) and let him fall asleep on the couch. For bedtime we'll turn off most of the lights and he'll sit on the couch with Andrew and I and jump around and be silly for a few minutes and then after a little while you look over and he's sound asleep. So for now, it's working. I don't know how long it will last though!




However, there is one new thing that we're very happy about--Mason wants nothing to do with binkies anymore. He had one left that he was clinging onto for months, and now he picks it up, looks at it and throws it back down on the floor.

HOORAY--NO MORE BINKIES :)

11 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I LOVE these pictures of him! He's adorable, and he probably does know you're getting ready for another one, so he's just getting you ready to juggle more things!

Linz said...

Those are the cutest pictures ever!! He is so sweet!

Hooray for no more binkies! (Andrew is also giving his up - but for a 4 month old, that is NOT a hooray!)

Sorry about the crib thing. I hope Andrew doesn't learn that either. Auri never did, and when we put her in a big bed, she kind of thought she couldn't get out of that either. Really, she only just recently discovered that she CAN get out of her bed. So now sleeping in is a thing of the past, and we often find her sitting at the bottom of the stairs after we put her to bed (note:she never makes a sound, just sits there!)

SOrry this is so long...

Castiel Moyes said...

I was totally laughing at the first picture of Mason. I especially loved the pushing a bow and arrow around, seriously funny. I am amazed that he gave up his binkie so easily and by himself. That is a true blessing.

Lana said...

My favorite is the pajama shorts! Too funny!

Kindermusik with Celeste said...

Andrew...how are you? I thought for sure I had a blogger stalker, but it was just you! :) And by the way, what do you mean, "Do I get a discount?" What am I selling?
Anyway, your family is beautiful and congratulations on #4. I am glad I have another blog to read to keep me busy...I am addicted! It was good to hear from you.

Celeste

Castiel Moyes said...

Heidi I was cracking up when you told me who you guys looked like! I don't see that at all and to be honest I had to find the RIGHT picture for it to come out good otherwise I got a lot of wierd people including men that I did not want to post. You should try a different picture and I want to see your post!

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about Moyes? Just remember Heidi that the two year old stage lasts a long time. Sam is still in it. I don't know if he will ever grow out of it, besides I will miss it when I don't have anything to laugh at. Yesterday he found spray paint in the garage and decided to put graffiti on our block wall.

steve said...

you were invited up to the cabin. you said you were uncomfortable with other peoples grandmas

Anonymous said...

andrew, heidi has never been to pocatello on vacation.

Heidi said...

Who is anonymous? Please identify yourself

Anonymous said...

your oldest and most wonderful brother or brother-in-law. which ever you choose. I'm too lazy to register