Friday, July 31

Too Many Photos

This is a picture taken at my wedding reception over 13 years ago. It's a shot of me (yes folks, that really is me) with my mother and my maternal grandmother, Elsie Godfrey Welling.

This is a four generation photo we took 6 years later on the front porch of gma's house. I'm holding Taylor who wasn't quite 3 years old at the time.

My family and I are driving up to Utah today. Tomorrow, August 1st, is Grandma Welling's 90th birthday and we are gathering together at This is the Place Heritage Park in Salt Lake to celebrate with her.
Each of us were asked to send in any photos we had of Grandma to be used in a video presentation. The above two photos were ones that instantly came to my mind as pictures I wanted to share. As I sat down a few nights ago with some photo albums and boxes of pictures to look through I thought, "I'm sure I have quite a few pictures of grandma that I can send in for the slide show." After searching through everything I had, guess how many pictures I found with grandma in them? No, not hundreds or even dozens. I only found fifteen pictures. Fifteen!! I couldn't believe that's all I had. I'm sure there are other pictures out there floating around somewhere - but in my personal collection I have a measly fifteen pictures of my grandma. So sad...
I was heartbroken as I flipped through my family photos and realized I only had a handful with other loved ones too, like my Grandpa and Grandma Watts - both who have passed away. In the past, whenever we would be at some family gathering, I would take a picture or two if I could - but most of the time I either forgot my camera or was too consumed with chasing kids around to worry about snapping pictures. No biggie, I always thought. I'm sure I can get copies of pictures from somebody else later. Well, we know how often that happens. Those moments are long gone and I have my memories, but those fade. A picture can last forever. I learned a valuable lesson as I sat there in my den looking through old boxes - you can never have too many photos.
So I have made a pact with myself: from now on I will make a more conscious effort to bring my camera with me and not only take more pictures of family and loved ones, but make sure I take pictures of my kids with their relatives - especially the ones we don't get a chance to see very often. This Saturday is the perfect opportunity to start - it will be the first time I've seen most of these people in awhile, so my camera will be charged and ready and I'm going to snap away.
The first shot I'm going to take: a picture of my sweet Grandma Welling with my four adorable children...







13 comments:

Shalae said...

It's so true . . . you can never have too many photos, especially of family. Enjoy your trip!

Linz said...

So true! That is one reason that I am so glad that we have digital now! You don't have to limit yourself!! Have fun!

teamZ said...

Did I ever tell you there are Wellings on the Zundel side. I'll fin out more info.

teamZ said...

Okay,JR's great-great grandma was Sarah Elizabeth Welling. Her dad was Job. His dad was John Welling.

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

Right on Heidi!! Totally agree. thank you. i will take more pictures now. Like of my parents with me, and with my kids. You are right, you always think ahh..no speical occasion, maybe next time..until that next time might be too late. Sad. I love this is the place heritage park. Enjoy utah once again. :) Tell your parents hello.

Heidi said...

Karen,
Your husband and I are definitely related!! My mom comes through the Job Welling line too.

Darrell and Alissa said...

I am so glad you posted this! I started thinking about the pictures I have of my kids with Grandparents and it's maybe one or two! I am going to LV for Thanksgiving again- and will be taking pics like crazy of my kids nand Grandmas!

Jill Johnson said...

I am a firm believer of that one! Thank the Lord for camera'a! Have a great time. Are we planning on salsa when we get back?

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Have fun! I totally agree with you. You can never have too many pics!

Chandra said...

We were just up there for the 24th of July. Have fun!!
I'm with ya on the pictures, I made sure to get a few of the kids w/ my grandma when we just went to Salt Lake to visit her.

Gary and Michelle said...

Hope you had a great weekend. Family reunions are the best. Can't wait to see more pictures with grandma.

themurphys said...

I Say that every day!! My Kids on the hand say stop taking so many pictures. But dont have many of my family get togethers and I think we should alot!!

steve said...

ummm, it's september. helloooooo!!!!!