Wednesday, April 28

Buy me some Peanuts and Crackerjack.......

Okay, I am trying new technology here...blogging from my phone. Let's see how this works!

A couple weeks ago Andrew went to a Las Vegas 51s Triple A baseball game with the YM. Of course Andrew is a native and went to games all the time growing up (back when they were called the Stars) so it's nothing new to him.  But we talked about it and thought that in the 10 years we've lived here, we've never taken our kids to a game.  So on Monday night we headed to a Stars/51's game for FHE.

We couldn't have picked a better night to go.  The weather was perfect and there wasn't much of a crowd.  We "splurged" and bought seats right above the dugout so we were close to the action.  Monday night most of the food is only a buck too, so that was an extra bonus.  I was thrilled to see frito pies on their menu - I have a weakness for those!!  We loaded up on hot dogs, pretzels and nachos and settled in to watch the game.

We quickly realized we forgot to bring any baseball mitts for the boys.  They were hoping to catch a fly ball.  But not too long into the game I noticed how the first baseman would toss a ball once in awhile into the stands as he ran into the dugout.  Hmm, I thought.  So the next time he ran in, I saw him kinda look around in the crowd.  I quickly stood up and he tossed the ball right to me.  Sweet!  My kids thought I was so cool for "catching" a game ball.  The boys took turns holding it and almost lost it a few times.  I told Zach he could have it, but he still wanted to catch his own ball.  As the game went on most of the people sitting around us were also getting balls tossed to them by this player, especially if you yelled out that you were a first - timer.  Sure enough, at the end of another inning the first baseman tossed a ball into the stands.  This time Zach got his hands on it, along the guy sitting directly in front of him.  The man handed it to Zach, but we quickly told Zach that we already had a ball and he should let the man have it.  Zackie handed the ball back to the guy and he was very appreciative, saying how much his son at home will love it.  Right away Zach sulked down in his chair and tears began to run down his cheeks.  We told him that he did a good thing and that we shouldn't be greedy with 2 balls but the silent tears continued.  However, at the end of the inning here comes another ball into the stands and guess who caught it........





You've never seen a frown turn upside down so quickly.  Zach was now on cloud nine and as happy as a clam that he caught a ball all by himself.  He held onto that ball super tight as he watched the rest of the game.  By the end of the game even Tanner was given a ball by the team for being a first timer.

Final score:

Stars/51s: 5
Sacramento River Cats: 6

Game balls our family took home as souvenirs:  3

4 comments:

Shalae said...

I've lived here 10 years too and never been either! Sounds like you had a great time! Good job on the blogging from your phone. That's wonderfully convienent! :)

Kristin said...

I haven't been to a game since high school!! Looks like a fun time!!

Linz said...

How fun! I am so glad that he got his own ball! Yea!

hetalia_fanatiker said...

Way to go Zach! Catch that ball!